Four people have been arrested in connection with the death of two sanitation workers who were allegedly hit by poisonous gas while cleaning the septic tank of a banquet hall in Ghazipur in east Delhi. Police gave this information on Saturday.
Police said that housekeeping staff Rahul, general manager Aamir Khan and two directors of Banquet Hall, Johit alias Jimmy Arora and Girish Mahendru were arrested after interrogation on Friday night.
Police said 35-year-old Lokesh and 40-year-old Premchand, who live in Trilokpuri, went inside to clean the septic tank on Thursday evening but were later found dead there. Police said the cleaning personnel were not given to wear protective equipment and were offered Rs 3,000 for the work.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Deepak Yadav said that the housekeeping staff of the banquet hall called them for cleaning at 7.30 pm and both were found dead around 10 pm.
After receiving information about the incident, teams of Fire Department, Delhi Disaster Management Authority and MCD inspected the site. They told that both of them were rushed to the hospital, where doctors declared them dead.
Family members of the deceased allege that the victims had gone there for work related to food and drink, but were forced to clean septic tanks and not wear any safety equipment.
The police officer said that a case has been registered under the Indian Penal Code and the relevant sections of the Manual Scavenger Prohibition and Rehabilitation Act and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and a detailed investigation is being done.