People expecting corona vaccine have received another blow. Johnson & Johnson has temporarily halted its clinical trial on Corona. In a statement issued on Monday by the company, it said that it has temporarily halted its trial due to an unexplained illness in a study participant. 

Johnson & Johnson stated that the participant’s illness is reviewed and evaluated by an independent data and safety monitoring board as well as the company’s clinical and safety physicians. The company said that such temporary prohibitions continue in large trials, in which more than 10 thousand people are tried.

Johnson & Johnson said that this study has been banned. It has no meaning on the part of the Medical Regulatory Board preventing the trial. Johnson & Johnson’s move is similar to AstraZeneca plc. In September, AstraZeneca AZN.L halted the trial of the last phase of their vaccine.

AstraZeneca banned her trial in a UK study participant due to an unexplained illness. Although trials have resumed in the UK, Brazil, South Africa and India, trials in the US are yet to begin.

Dr. William Scheffner, Professor of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, said by email that everyone is on alert with what happened to AstraZeneca. This would be a serious adverse event. If it was something like prostate cancer, uncontrolled diabetes or a heart attack – they would not have stopped the trial for this reason.

It is worth noting that last month, Johnson & Johnson, during a trial of their vaccine, found that it is very effective in boosting the immune system against Corona. After this, the company conducted a human trial of the vaccine on about 60 thousand people, the result of which is expected to come later this year or early 2021.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here