Alert To People: Heavy Rains Likely In Kerala, Possibility Of Destructive Thundershowers: The monsoon is intensifying in the state. Due to the influence of cyclonic circulation along with Tulavarsha, the weather forecast is that there will be heavy rain. All districts except Kannur and Kasargod are on yellow alert on Saturday. There is a possibility of isolated heavy rain. Cyclones are also present along the southwestern Bay of Bengal, along the southern Tamil Nadu coast. Due to its influence, rains are likely to continue for the next few days.
The Disaster Management Authority has issued lightning-warning instructions to the public
Thunderstorms are dangerous. They cause great damage to human and animal life, electrical and communication networks, and appliances connected to electrical conductors. Therefore, the general public should take the following precautions from the time the cloud starts to be seen. Do not avoid taking such precautions because lightning is not visible.
At the first sign of lightning, move to a safe building immediately. Staying in open areas increases the chance of being struck by lightning.
Keep windows and doors closed and stay away from doors and windows during periods of strong winds and lightning. Stay inside the building and try not to touch the wall or floor as much as possible.
Unplug household appliances. Avoid proximity to electrical appliances during thunderstorms.
– Avoid using the telephone during thunderstorms. It is okay to use a mobile phone.
Children should avoid playing outdoors and on terraces between 2 pm to 10 pm if the weather is cloudy.
Do not stand under trees during thunderstorms. Do not park vehicles under trees.
Stay inside your vehicle during a thunderstorm. Don’t stick your legs out. You will be safe inside the vehicle. Avoid traveling on vehicles like bicycles, bikes, and tractors during thunderstorms, and seek shelter in a safe building until the thunderstorm ends.
Don’t go out to the terrace or yard to collect clothes when there is a rainstorm or during a thunderstorm.
– Tie-down objects that can fall over in the wind.
– Avoid bathing during thunderstorms. Also, avoid collecting water from taps. Electricity from lightning may travel through pipes.
– Do not fish or bathe in water bodies during thunderstorms. As soon as you start seeing clouds, you should stop fishing and boating and try to reach the nearest shore immediately. Do not stand on the deck of a boat during a thunderstorm. Baiting and netting should be suspended during thunderstorms.
– Avoid kite flying.
– It is dangerous to sit on a terrace or other high place or on a tree branch during a thunderstorm.
– Domestic animals should not be tethered in the open during this time. Do not go when there is a rain cloud to untie them and tie them back securely. This may cause you to experience lightning strikes.
– If you are in an open area so that you cannot move to a nearby building, sit in a ball-like position with your feet together and your head and legs tucked between your knees.